Sunday, December 8, 2013

Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam



     Yep! You read correctly... Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam! A jam with NO fruit what-so-ever, just MEAT!!! I found this recipe while surfing the internet. I couldn't resist, I had to try it! My wife gave me the craziest look when I told here what I was making. But when we tried the finished product. WHOLY S#!T!!!! It was that good!!! I like it as a sandwich spread, but it has several applications. I even put a spoon of it in some barbecue sauce I had made.  Just remember it is a meat product and it requires refrigeration for storage, unless you can it. If you are going to can it. Pressure can it at 10lbs. for 75 mins. Refrigerate after opening.

Maple Bourbon Bacon Jam:

     1lbs thick cut bacon cut into 1inch slices
     1 large onion sliced
     4 cloves garlic chopped
     1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
     3/4 cup strong brewed coffee
     1/4 cup packed brown sugar
     1/4 cup maple syrup
     1/4 cup bourbon
     1-2 arbol chili pods more if you like it hotter
     1/2 tsp cumin

     In a heavy sauce pan over medium heat cook the bacon till it starts to brown, do not crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. Drain all but 2 tbs of bacon fat from pan. Add onion to sauce pan cook in reserved bacon fat till tender. Add garlic, sauté till fragrant. Add apple cider vinegar to deglaze. Return bacon to pan with remaining ingredients reduce heat and simmer for 2 hours stirring on occasion. When mixture is thick and syrupy, transfer to a food processor. Process bacon jam until smooth or desired consistency. Serve warm. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment